March 10, 1920 - Oct 25, 2012 OKLAHOMA CITY Jay Sands was born Abel Jay Sands in Oklahoma City, OK on March 10, 1920, to Dr. Abel Jay Sands and Elva Lorena Sands. Jay graduated from Choctaw High School in 1937. Jay attended Draughns Business School in 1937 and then went to Oklahoma City University in 1938 as a premedical student. He graduated from OCU in 1942. Jay then entered medical school at the University of Oklahoma as a private first class. The medical school was under the control of the Army during this time. Jay received his MD and first lieutenant's commission in 1946. Jay did his internship at University Hospital in Oklahoma City. In 1947, Jay was assigned to Clark Field in the Philippines. He was promoted to captain in 1948 and assigned to Bagnio Rest Camp in Northern Philippines as the Commanding Officer. In 1949, Jay was discharged from the Army. He returned to Manila, Philippines, where he worked in the State Department Veterans Administration Office. In 1950, Jay went to Okinawa and began medical practice for employees of American contractors who were working there. In 1956, Jay returned to the United States, where he renewed a friendship with a college girlfriend, Jackie Epps. They were married in June 1957. During this time, Jay entered private practice in Midwest City, OK with doctors, Bob Randels, Arnold Nelson and Bill Reynolds. Jay was instrumental in getting Midwest City Memorial Hospital built and later became Chief of Staff. Jay and Jackie raised granddaughter, Sandy Coffey, from age 10 through her graduation from the University of Oklahoma. In 1989, Jay's wife Jackie died with Alzheimer's disease. For nearly 50 years of his life, Jay devoted himself to caring and curing the sick. He was of great comfort to thousands of patients. He was a trusted friend and confidant to many of his patients. Jay retired from medical practice in 1994 and moved to Epworth Villa in 2005. Jay enjoyed life, especially his family and friends. He remained quite active following his retirement. He had a great passion for the game of golf. He was quite an accomplished player and played nearly every day. Jay passed away on October 25, 2012. Jay was preceded in death by his parents and wife, Jackie. He is survived by his granddaughter, Sandy Coffey, her husband, Brian, and their children, Cameron, Carson and Caelan; and numerous friends. A memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday, November 8, 2012, at Brill Chapel at Epworth Villa in Oklahoma City, OK.

Published in The Oklahoman on Nov. 4, 2012