John M. Ireland Funeral Home & Chapel
120 S Broadway St
Moore, OK 73160
(405) 799-1200
More Obituaries for WILLIAM HILL
Looking for an obituary for a different person with this name?


1925 - 2017 Obituary Condolences
April 7, 1925 - November 4, 2017 OKLAHOMA CITY William "Richard" Hill went home to be with our Lord and Savior on Nov. 4, 2017, at his home in Oklahoma City after two weeks under the excellent care of Integris Hospice. He was born April 7, 1925, in Haverhill, MA to William Richard Hill Sr. and Mildred Everson Quimby, the firstborn of their two children. During the Depression as as a young child, Richard once asked his dad for more soup. His father was brokenhearted and cried that there wasn't enough to give his son a second helping. Soon after, his father had to leave the state to find work. His parents could not afford to take Richard and his little sister with them, so they sent him to live with his paternal grandparents in Boston. His grandparents, especially his grandfather, taught him exquisite manners, how to manage money and how to live a very structured life. Dinner was served promptly at a set time every day and he was instructed to never be late. One time, he was late and was sent to his room with no supper. When asked why he was late, Richard said, "I don't have a watch and didn't know what time it was." The next day, his grandfather gave him a shiny new watch. Richard was never late for dinner or anything else the rest of his life! In high school, he joined the ROTC. Richard earned the rank of Eagle Scout and then went on to be a Sea Scout. Just before his death, he quoted the Boy Scout Oath without error to his son-in-law, Robert. In 1943, at the age of 18, Richard was drafted out of high school into the U.S. Army to go to war to fight for the right to be free. He would have preferred to join the Navy because of his Sea Scout knowledge of boating, "semaphore" nauticalflag signals, Morse code, marine navigation, knot tying and more, but the recruiter told him that everyone coming through the door was going into the Army. After three months of basic training in Greensboro, NC, Richard found out he could take some tests to enter the Army Air Corps. Passing the required tests, he went to Biloxi, MS for aircraft engine training, then, El Paso, TX for maintenance training on B-24s and B-17s, and finally, to Fairmont, NE for maintenance training on B-29s. After more than two years of training, Richard went to the Pacific Theater, first stop Okinawa after its capture. They discovered caves filled with rifles, food and schedules posted on the walls. Next, Guam where there were 200 B-29s for bombing Japan. He was the Master Crew Chief responsible for one of those planes. A Crew Chief is a master mechanic with an assistant crew chief and five Airplane and Engine Mechanics to help with the maintenance of the plane. He was also part of the B-29 crew as "Flight Engineer," sitting directly behind the co-pilot. Many times, generals would make a special request to have Richard on their plane as Flight Engineer. After the war, Richard continued maintaining 15 B-29s on Saipem. When sent back to the states, he was stationed at Loring Air Force Base in Maine for the next six and a half years. There, he met and married his first wife and in 1950, welcomed their son, Richard William Hill. Daughter, Lynne Ann, joined the family in 1957. Richard's son served 20 years in the Air Force and retired. Lynne Ann served six years in the Air Force. During the rest of his career in the Air Force, Richard served at the following, not necessarily in order: Strategic Air Command "SAC" headquarters in Nebraska; Tripoli, Libya; North Africa; Rome; the Mediterranean; Sicily; Montana; Massachusetts; Alabama; Idaho; Puerto Rico; and Okinawa, Japan, for a second time in the `60s. In 1968, Richard retired from the service as a senior master sergeant. He received numerous commendations during his 25 years of service. Richard was over transportation at Scrivner Bogart Inc. for 13 years. In 1981, the City of Moore hired him to be the garage superintendent. Over the next six years, his responsibilities increased to being over the Sanitation Department and Street Department. The city wanted him to stay longer, but Richard told them he was ready to go play golf. While in Moore, Richard attended Southgate Baptist Church. In 1996, Richard met Ruby, the love of his life, and they married on June 12, 1997. They traveled throughout the U.S. extensively for the first few years of their marriage. Then, they decided to spend six months in Oklahoma City and six months in Tucson. They have shared a 20-year love affair. They have danced, laughed and lived life to the fullest. They faithfully attended Springdale Baptist Church when in Oklahoma City and Pantano Baptist Church in Tucson. Richard was preceded in death by his grandson, Rick Hill; son, Richard William Hill; and sister, Ardis Bowman. He is survived by his wife, Ruby Doss Hill; daughter, Lynne Ann Leibold, of Boise, ID; daughter-in-law, Linda Marie Hill, granddaughter, Crystal Anne Hill, and great-grandson, Devon Glen Hill, of Tecumseh, OK; and grandson, Michael Hill, of Colorado Springs, CO. He is also survived by his stepchildren, Yolonda Chance, of Corona, CA; Reginald Keith Doss and wife Linda, of Oklahoma City; Lowell Drew Doss and wife Connie, of Noble, OK; and Debra Doss Pickett and husband Robert of Midland, TX. Richard was Grandpa to 18 grandchildren and 24 great-grandchildren; and he had nieces and nephews too numerous to count. Funeral Service will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 8, 2017, under the direction of John M. Ireland and Son Funeral Home at the Lynlee May Reception Center & Chapel, 507 E. Main, Moore OK. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be directed to his home church: Springdale Baptist, 3900 NW 50th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73112. To place online condolences, please visit: www.johnirelandfuneralhome.com
Published in The Oklahoman on Nov. 6, 2017
Read More
Planning Guide
Free funeral planning guide compliments of John M. Ireland Funeral Home & Chapel